A New Approach
We regularly evaluate all of our services to ensure that we are offering the best possible programming for the communities that we serve. After looking at what other communities have been doing we refreshed our traditional league delivery model to reflect the current “best practices” being used by other soccer clubs as well as being promoted by the Ontario Soccer Association.
This year we are taking a new approach to skill development in sports, one that moves away from competition and toward building skills while allowing players to learn and enjoy the game without the pressure to win. Beginning with indoor soccer, the Youth Sports Development Program aims to:
- Focus on fun, teamwork and fair play and the ability to work with a variety of other players
- Incorporate fundamental movement skills associated with soccer
- Provide individual skill development to allow players to see their improvement.
- Give players an opportunity to develop skills that are directly transferrable to the outdoor game, as well as giving all players a chance to experience all positions, including keeper.
Who Can Participate
The program will be divided into two divisions based on the age of the player at the time of registration:
U9 Ages 6-9
U12 Ages 10-12
The program format is a combination of practice time and game play. Practice locations will be split between Fort Erie and Ridgeway and parent/guardian(s) will be able to register for a specific practice day, time and location. During their practice time players in both divisions will be divided into smaller groups and rotate through activity stations focused on developing movement and soccer skills, appropriate for the age group and skill level of participants.
Game time will take place at in the gymnasium of the EJ Freeland YMCA in For Erie on Saturday afternoons. Scores will be kept during the game but will not be recorded and no standings will be kept. The Youth Sports Developmental Program is about playing the game for fun and putting new skills into practice. Game times will be communicated with parents in advance.
Registration begins on December 12, 2014 in person at the Fort Erie YMCA, or any YMCA of Niagara Health, Fitness and Aquatics branch. The program will begin the first week of February 2015 and run for 11 weeks.
The cost of the program is $72 for current YMCA members and $107 for community participants.
Click to view the indoor soccer YSDP registration form.
Give back to your community, become a soccer coach!
We are always looking for those willing to give their time back to the community. If you are interested in being a coach you can let us know in a number of ways:
- Fill out the information on the back of your son/daughter’s registration form.
- Leave your contact information with the Membership staff at your local YMCA and the program Team Leader will contact you.
- Email us at email@example.com
Contact the E J Freeland Fort Erie YMCA at 905-871-9622
or Steve Wideman at 905-934-9622 x 295
YMCA Youth Sports Development Program aligns with the goals of the Greater Fort Erie Soccer Club
For information about registering your child for summer soccer click here