Once you register for a time slot, it is yours to keep until:
- you choose to move to a different day or time;
- your membership becomes inactive;
- you miss three classes in a row without informing the YMCA.
If your child is going to miss three classes in a row please inform the membership desk as this will allow us to save your child’s space. Otherwise we will assume you are no longer interested in attending and place someone else in the space.
YMCA L’il Dippers (6 months – 5 years)
L’il Dippers 1
- Goal in class is to build values and introduce a wide range of water activities in a fun, safe atmosphere.
- Skills taught include comfort in the water; splashes with arms and legs; pool area orientation; hold wall and kick feet; and front/back float assisted.
L’il Dippers 2
- Bobbers: hold wall kick and blow bubbles, front and back glide assisted, water hazards
- Floaters: bobs unassisted, front and back glide with kick 3 metres, how and when to wear a personal flotation device
- Gliders: deep water skills, front and back swim 5 metres, accessing EMS
- Divers: surface support 10 seconds, front and back swim 10 metres, boating safety
- Surfers: kneeling dive, front and back swim 15 metres, ice safety
- Dippers: surface support 45 seconds, front and back swim 25 metres, introduction to throwing assists
Learn to Swim (6+ years)
- Otter: Going under water and gliding on top of the water
- Seal: Using flutter kick and rolling the body from side to side for streamlined movement through water
- Dolphin: Coordinating arms, legs and breathing for smooth propulsion during front and back crawl
- Swimmer: Front and back crawl stroke standards, treading water for 1 minute, and 25 metre endurance swim
YMCA Star Program (6+ years)
- Star 1: Whip kick on their back, and 75 metre endurance swim
- Star 2: Whip kick on their front, eggbeater as surface support and 100 metre endurance swim
- Star 3: Elementary backstroke, dolphin kick, and 200 metre endurance swim
- Star 4: Breaststroke, side stroke, and 350 metre endurance swim
YMCA Star Leadership Program (6+ years)
- Star 5: Butterfly, throwing a buoyant aid to a swimmer, create and teach a water game, and 500 m endurance swim
- Star 6: First aid, towing someone to safety, demonstrate how to teach a skill, and 600 m endurance swim.
- Star 7: First aid, teach someone a skill using effective feedback, and 400 m in 12 minutes endurance swim.
Lifesaving Fitness – Bronze, Silver, Gold (10+ years)
- Work on physical standards for aquatic leadership courses
- Prerequisite: Star 7 or equivalent
- Course Fee: $0