YMCA Child Care Re-Activation Update
We hope you and your families are doing well.
We are reaching out to provide a further update regarding the phased in approach to the re-activation of YMCA Child Care.
On July 20th the YMCA re-opened five of its seven Preschool Centres, while closely following the guidelines from Public Health and the Ministry of Education. Effective, Tuesday, September 8, we will re-open our last two remaining preschool centres for toddler and preschool care:
- YMCA Child Care – Grapeview
- YMCA Child Care – Glynn A. Green
As we continue to prepare and plan for the re-opening of our licensed School Age Child Care, we continue to work closely with our local School Boards, Niagara Region Children’s Services and local Public Health in developing our approach to deliver a safe and high quality licensed program.
This next phase of re-activating School Age Child Care is complex for the following reasons:
- Although the Government announced on July 30 that effective September 1 child care can return to regular operations, the Child Care Operational Guidelines related to strict COVID-19 measures were only issued from the Province on August 13
- In collaboration with our local School Boards, our Niagara Region and local Public Health, we continue to work together related to interpretation of the required guidelines
- Given that licensed School Age Child Care operates within schools in a shared space environment, aligning our processes and practices with the schools is complex and critical to ensure optimum safety for our children and staff, and requires thoughtful planning
- As a result of the strict guidelines related to cohorts and necessary additional safety procedures, we must analyze our current child care families’ intentions to return to care against ensuring that we have enough Educators to deliver the service
In light of these reasons, we want to inform you that we will not be re-opening our YMCA School Age Child Care Centres on September 8. Our phased in approach to re-activating licensed School Age Child Care will begin on Monday, September 21. This re-opening plan will take place over a 6 week period.
During the week of September 8-11, our Supervisors will be reaching out by phone call to all families that have submitted their online Intention Form regarding when your child’s centre will open based on the 6 week re-activation plan. This call will begin the process to confirm registrations for the child care spaces that we are initially able to offer. If you have not received any communications up to this point, please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update our internal contact list.
In this first phase of re-activation we will prioritize the child care needs of our existing families first. We will offer any remaining available spaces to new children via child care centre waitlists. To get your child’s name on the waitlist, please register through the Niagara Region Child Care Registry.
We understand that this delay in confirmation of school age care makes it difficult for families to plan, however, please trust that we are committed to keeping you updated on our progress. We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this process during these unprecedented times.