YMCA of Niagara announces Outdoor Group Fitness classes
Outdoor Group Fitness classes, in person, are now available at three YMCA of Niagara locations: Niagara West, Port Colborne and St. Catharines.
We are currently offering outdoor Arriba, Cardio Mix and Yoga for current and recent members. Starting the week of August 24, we are introducing Gentle Fit and Total Body Conditioning. All classes will take place outside at either the Niagara West YMCA or Port Colborne YMCA or Walker Family YMCA; weather permitting.
Members can register/sign up for outdoor classes by writing to the email addresses below. Registration for all classes opens 48 hours before the class. To clarify, registration is required for each class.
The ground will be marked with spots that are six-feet apart for participants to use as a guide during each class. This is to help maintain physical distancing.
Do note that access to the inside of the facility will not be available; there will be no access to change rooms, towels, washrooms, equipment or water fountains. Please bring everything you need with you.
Our number one priority is to keep our members and our staff safe and healthy. Current and recent YMCA of Niagara members can register for these Outdoor Group Fitness classes at no cost. Be sure to bring your membership card with you to your class.
Schedule: Outdoor Group Fitness
Niagara West YMCA
325 Main St E, Grimsby, ON L3M 1R1
To register, please e-mail: [email protected]
|Saturday, September 26||9am - 9:45am||Cardio Mix||Courtney||12||Register|
Port Colborne YMCA
550 Elizabeth St, Port Colborne, ON L3K 5W3
To register, please e-mail: [email protected]
|Saturday, September 26||9:15am - 10am||Arriba||Kim||11||Register|
|Monday, September 28||9:15am - 10am||Cardio Mix||Kim||15||Register|
|Tuesday, September 29||9:15am - 9:45am||GentleFit||Kim||15||Register|
Walker Family YMCA, St. Catharines
25 YMCA Drive, St. Catharines, ON L2N 7P9
To register, please e-mail the respective class instructors:
Arriba is a high-energy dance based fitness party.
We focus on the four basic Latin rhythms—Salsa, Merengue, Cumbia and Reggaeton—with a splash of Dance, Bollywood, Belly Dance, Hip Hop and also any other rhythm you can move your hips and feet to!
[su_spoiler title=”CARDIO MIX”]
Cardio Mix is a 45-minute interval classes that provides targeted training for specific muscle groups, while getting your heart rate up through a variety of cardiovascular exercises.
The class is divided into three to five blocks where participants will perform three exercises for 30-45 seconds each, and then repeated two to three times.
[su_spoiler title=”GENTLE FIT”]
Gentle Fit will provide participants with a variety of exercises that can be performed while standing and does not include jumping.
Designed to improve cardiovascular flow, range of motion, balance and strength to allow participants to complete daily movements with confidence. This class is ideal for those new to exercise, with joint problems or limited mobility.
Strength (formerly ‘Total Body Conditioning’) is a muscle conditioning class using your body weight to sculpt and define your arms, back, legs and glutes.
Classes will include an intensive core component.
Yoga is a great way to stretch and strengthen your mind and body. It is based on traditional yoga postures and focuses on mind-body awareness, strength, flexibility, breathing and relaxation techniques.
Designed to provide increases flexibility or your joint and ligaments and excellent toning of your muscles; this class will give you more energy, delay of the aging process and help you feel great!
How to register
Participants need to pre-register to the specific email address below to request a spot. Spaces limited. Registration opens 48 hours before each class, and each class requires registration.
To register for classes at
- Niagara West YMCA, e-mail: [email protected]
- Port Colborne YMCA, e-mail: [email protected]
- Walker Family YMCA, e-mail the respective class instructor
Please note your spot is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email back from the instructor.
- Participants must complete the pre-screening health check prior to participating; must complete within two hours of class starting
- Members should arrive 15 minutes ahead of class to complete the mandatory check-in; you must show the green health check screen on your mobile device, or complete the screening questions in person
- A YMCA staff member will take your temperature, it must be below 38 Celsius to participate
- Show your YMCA membership card and enjoy your workout, weather permitting
- Please sanitize your hands with the provided disinfectant
- Once admitted to the class, please maintain physical distancing of 2 metres between participants. The ground will be marked to identify participant workout locations
- Please note access to the inside of the facility will not be available; there will be no access to change rooms, towels, washrooms, equipment or water fountains. Please bring everything you need with you
- Members should maintain physical distancing of 6 feet. No gathering
- Participants should arrive and depart wearing a mask. Masks are not required during a class
- 18+ years of age
We are currently offering Outdoor Fitness Classes at NO COST to current and recent YMCA of Niagara members.
Physical Distancing procedures for Outdoor Fitness Classes
- All participants must complete a temperature check and pre-screening questionnaire prior to entering the class
- In addition, participants must sanitize their hands with the provided disinfectant