COVID-19 – Update Thursday, March 12, 2020
In light of today’s announcement by the Government of Ontario to close all publicly funded schools from March 14-April 5, our YMCA is assessing the implications of school closures on YMCA programs that operate within schools. We are also evaluating our approach to programs that serve large groups of children and youth and request your patience as we work through this process.
We will provide updates on our approach on Friday, March 13, 2020. Please check back here for more information.
Staying Healthy at the YMCA
The YMCA recognizes that the COVID-19 situation is constantly evolving and we are committed to staying informed, taking our guidance from public health agencies and implementing any required measures to prevent the spread of illness at the YMCA.
We want to take this opportunity to share with you some measures we are taking to maintain a healthy and safe environment for everyone in our YMCA community. We are also taking this opportunity to provide you with some additional information to help prevent the spread of illness.
Measures being taken by the YMCA to maintain a healthy and safe environment for its members, program participants, staff and volunteers:
- We are closely monitoring all public health agencies to stay on top of the latest developments related to COVID-19 and implementing any required health and safety measures based on the recommendation from various international, national and provincial authorities.
- We continue to follow our health and cleaning protocols in our program areas and membership facilities, including the provision of hand sanitizers.
- We have provided information to staff and members on ways to prevent the spread of germs and handwashing which has been posted in all program areas and membership centres.
- We have posted guidelines for individuals who may have recently returned from travel in all program areas as recommended by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
What you can do:
The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) is monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely, and while the risk for Ontarians is still considered low, there are steps we can all take now to prevent the spread of illness. These steps include:
- Thorough handwashing continues to be the most effective preventative measure you can take
- Always cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your sleeve (not your hand!)
- Throw any used tissue into a garbage can immediately after use. Then wash your hands, using either soap and water or sanitizer.
- As best as you can, keep your hands away from your eyes and nose. (Your eyes and nose have mucous membranes; germs (on your hands) can enter your body through the mucous membranes of your eyes and nose.
- If you are sick, stay home, including if you are taking medications to mask symptoms (such as fever, coughing or shortness of breath), and call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866- 797-0000
- When participating at the YMCA please make use of hand sanitizer and please help to maintain a healthy environment by using antimicrobial wipes to disinfect equipment that you are in contact with after use and dispose these wipes accordingly
We ask that you consider the health and well-being of not only yourself, but those around you.
If you have any questions, about Covid-19 and how to keep you and your family healthy, please contact the local health authorities.
We will be sure to keep you updated as things develop and if additional measures are implemented.
Thank you for your cooperation in helping to maintain a healthy and safe environment for everyone in our YMCA community.
Here is a link to a helpful video by the World Health Organization which illustrates how to prevent the spread of viruses. Click Here.